The Kansas Board of Regents authorizes private and out-of-state institutions to operate in Kansas with a Certificate of Approval that must be renewed annually. These schools offer instruction for business trade, technical or industrial occupations, or confer degrees. All schools operating with a physical presence in Kansas or that are actively soliciting* enrollment of prospective students to receive instruction in the state of Kansas must apply for a certificate of approval or an exemption.

*Active solicitation of Kansas students may include (but is not limited to) trying to attract students to enroll in a course (who will remain in Kansas while taking the course) by doing things like placing ads in Kansas papers or running ads on Kansas based TV or radio stations, mailing Kansas residents written material, sending representatives into Kansas to attempt student recruitment, or engaging in other means of solicitation that specifically contacts or targets Kansas residents in order to encourage them to enroll in a private or out-of-state postsecondary school that is offering a certificate, diploma or degree.

For information on teacher education and licensure, contact Scott Myers, Director of Teacher Education and Licensure, Kansas Department of Education, (785) 296-8010 or via e-mail at

For information on Home Inspection program approval, contact the Kansas Home Inspection Registration Board at

For information on Real Estate licensure educaton, contact Kelly White, Kansas Real Estate Commission at

For information on Nursing programs, contact the Kansas Board of Nursing, Mary Blubaugh, Executive Administrator at

If you are unable to find a specific school or program, please contact us. We may be able to help you track down an appropriate education solution.


Private Postsecondary Complaint Process

Link to documents students may find useful for the complaint process... Read more.

Obtaining a Transcript

The Kansas Board of Regents will provide copies of transcripts to students from... Read more.