- Tilford Talks with Mr. Riccardo Harris and Dr. Kevin Harrison, sponsored by Textron Aviation: In celebration of both the legacy of Dr. Michael P. Tilford and that of Black History Month, the Wichita State University's Presidents Diversity Council will be hosting "Tilford Talks" on the final two Fridays of February (19th and 26th) from 1pm to 3pm. These will be hosted by Mr. Riccardo Harris and Dr. Kevin Harrison. In the spirit of traditional Tilford initiatives, will hold true to the mission of inspiring and promoting equity awareness at Wichita State, while also exploring the challenges to educating diverse student populations. However, "Tilford Talks" will explore these important values through lenses that are more abstract than what we are traditionally accustomed to. In ongoing efforts to bridge gaps between the community and the university, these conversations will look at areas that take for granted the responsibility of the entire community in properly educating students of color. While these areas are far too vast to list, we have chosen the areas of spirituality and law enforcement for this years conversations.
- Friday, February 19, 2021 1:00-3:00pm CST: The Role of the Black Church in Socializing African American Students for School Success. Discussion on the role that spirituality and religion has had in helping students of color become successful in K-12 and secondary, as well as areas of opportunity. Featured panelist will include Dr. Gayln Vesey and Pastor Lincoln E. Montgomery and First Lady Annie K. Montgomery.
- Friday, February 26, 2021 1:00-3:00pm CST: Discussion on how some groups feel threatened and even traumatized by law enforcement. How can institutions and law enforcement work together to lessen these disparities? How are these disparities impacting the process of educating students of color? What role does research play in changing the narrative so that students of color are empowered by institutions of higher learning rather than subjugated? Featured panelist include Dr. Michael Birzer, Chief Gordon Ramsay, Chief Rodney Clark and Captain Wendel Nicholson.
- Coffee & Convo with WSU VP and CDO, Dr. Marche' Fleming-Randle, sponsored by Textron Aviation: Coffee & Convo, sponsored by Textron Aviation is a 60 minute virtual open forum with Wichita State University 's Vice President, Chief Diversity Officer and Chair of the Presidents Diversity Council, addressing factual and relevant issues that deal with current events in America, WSU and the Wichita community. Attendees are encouraged to join with an open mind and the ability to listen to opinions of diverse backgrounds.
- Thursday, February 25, 2021 12:30-1:30pm CST