Across the nation and our state, many adults have advanced skills and knowledge, but lack postsecondary credentials. In our state alone, there are over 700,000 working-age adults (ages 25-64) lacking a degree or certificate with workplace value. Simultaneously, employers are increasingly in need of employees with higher education. By 2020, experts project that over 71 percent of Kansas jobs will require some form of postsecondary credential.
Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) helps students accelerate completion of their degrees as evidenced by research from the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL). These studies suggest students who earn CPL demonstrate higher graduation rates, better persistence and shorter time to degree, and so Kansas institutions are examining their standards and practice around Credit for Prior Learning.
The Kansas Credit for Prior Learning Steering Committee has developed a guidebook to ensure consistent practices and quality standards are used across institutions. CPL awards credit for college-level equivalent knowledge and skills and includes credit evidenced by national standardized exams, military training transcripts, industry credentials, portfolios, and other methods.
|Kansas Credit for Prior Learning Guidebook (updated April 2016) (pdf)|
Resources - Kansas
- Credit for Military Alignment - launched December 2016
- WEBSITE: Multi-State Collaborative on Military Credit
- PRESENTATION: March 2017 Mapping ACE Credit Recommendations (pdf)
- PRESENTATION: May 2014 CAEL Seminar (pdf)
- PRESENTATION: June 2014 ACE Seminar (pdf)
- SUMMARY: August 2013 Survey Results of Institutional CPL Use (pdf)
- TOOL: ACE Institutional Capacity Tool (Word)
- Introductory Webinars from:
- CAEL - "Quality Standards" (January 2014) (pdf)
- ACE - "Supporting Adult Learners: Credit for Prior Learning Pathways" (January 2014) (pdf)
- CLEP - "Developing Effective PLA Policy" (February 2014) (pdf)
- "Prior Learning Assessment at Thomas Edison State College" (February 2014) (pdf)
On July 17, 2015, a statewide conference was held for Kansas higher education continuing education professionals to address Assuring Quality in Online Courses, Student Retention Efforts, Program Development Processes for Credit and Noncredit Programming, Competency-based Education, International Programming at Kansas Schools, Metrics, Recruiting New Students, Community Outreach Programs, and Professional Development and Advancement for Continuing Education Staff.
Click here to review conference materials.
[Note: to review a given presentation, click on "Schedule" and then on the presenter's name.]
Resources - National Experts
- Midwest Higher Education Consortium-Multi-State Collaborative on Military Credit
- VALUING MILITARY LEARNING: A Guide to Military Prior Learning Assessment and More (July 2016)
- U.S Department of Education "College Completion Toolkit (pdf)
- The Council For Adult & Experiential Learning Research Highlights (pdf), includes links to full research documents
- REPORT: "Fueling the Race" (CAEL, March 2010) (pdf)
- College Productivity Resource Guide for State Leaders
- American Council on Education
Resources - State and Institutional Initiatives
- Ohio - 'Law brings uniformity to veterans' education services' (September 2014)
- Ohio - PLA with a Purpose (pdf)
- Tennessee - "Recommended Standards in Prior Learning Assessment Policy and Practice" (August 2012) (pdf)
- Tennessee - BeginAgainTN.org
- North Carolina - College Credit for Military Training
- Minnesota - Career Pathways: Get Credit for Prior Learning
- Indiana - "Supporting Hoosier Veterans: A Look at Military Credit in Indiana" (November 2016) (pdf)