Leadership of the Governor’s Education Council includes co-chairs Dr. Blake Flanders, Kansas Board of Regents President & CEO and Dr. Randy Watson, Kansas Commissioner of Education; vice chairs Alan Cobb, President & CEO of the Kansas Chamber, and Ed O’Malley, Executive Director of the Kansas Leadership Center. Dr. Diane DeBacker, Executive Director of Business and Education Innovation at the Kansas Department of Commerce serves as the Executive Director of the Education Council. Members of the Council include representatives from three Cabinet agencies, 12 education-related organizations, representatives chosen by the leadership of both parties in the House and Senate, members from the business community, and students appointed by the Governor.
The Council’s mission is the following:
- Explore methods for integrating college and workforce preparedness into K-12 learning programs that align with and complement the work of the Kansans Can initiative of the Kansas State Department of Education.
- Consider the application of public-private partnerships in developing industry specific learning goals.
- Inventory and assess existing workforce development initiatives within the state.
- Discuss a system for measuring effectiveness and accountability of educational opportunities beyond the common and known metrics.
- Inform and advise the Governor on educational initiatives and policies to improve the overall success of education and workforce development in Kansas.
To learn more about the creation of the Governor's Education Council, please click here to read a press release from the Governor's Office.