Article Level website-banner Vets

In our ongoing efforts to support both veteran and current members of the Armed Forces and their families, we've assembled this directory of links to pages throughout our website which may be of special interest: 

ICON public institutions map thumbnail

Public Institutions
Includes information for all 32 public Universities, Community and Technical Colleges in Kansas, including direct links (listed as "Veterans Information") to more resource information at each institution.

Program Search ToolLINK-IMAGE ProgramSearchTool thumbnail
This free search tool enables you to quickly search program and training opportunities available from the 32 Kansas public higher education institutions, searching by program, institution and/or award level (certificate, associate degree, bachelor degree, etc.).

Adult Education in Kansas
From Basic Skills Services for adults to start on a career pathway, improve skills in reading, math, and writing to High School Equivalency Preparation (GED®) and English as a Second Language (ESL) Services for adults to improve their speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills in English - there are dozens of Adult Education Centers in Kansas ready to assist you.

Military Alignment

The Kansas Credit for Prior Learning Task Force works closely with the Kansas Collaborative on Military Credit and other appropriate groups to make recommendations for evaluating and awarding credit for military training.

Throughout the past year, faculty and administrators have convened to examine university and college course outcomes as compared to the skills, outcomes, and competencies learned in various military occupational specialties (MOS) designations. This is an ongoing initiative which will eventually include additional branches of the military.

Click here to review what MOS classifications have been aligned with academic programs across Kansas.

Participants in the Multi-State Collaborative on Military Credit (MCMC), Kansas is actively involved in this interstate partnership, working to translate competencies acquired through military training into college credentials. The Midwestern Higher Education Compact (MHEC) provides operational and administrative support for the MCMC project, and was awarded $900,000 over a three-year period (2015-2018) specifically for this work. An additional grant was also received to create specific bridge programs for translating military training toward credentials and/or degrees in the field of healthcare.


On May 29, 2015, Kansas Governor Sam Brownback signed into law HB 2154 which includes authorization for all veterans eligible for federal education benefits, along with all current members of the armed forces, to be charged in-state tuition rates at all 32 public postsecondary colleges and universities in Kansas, effective July 1, 2015, regardless of time spent in the state.

This year, with the passage of HB 2567, eligibility for resident tuition is reinstated for those who had established residency in Kansas while permanently stationed in Kansas or prior to service in the armed forces. The veteran, veteran’s spouse or dependent, must live in Kansas at the time of enrollment. (A similar provision had been in state law prior to the passage of 2015 HB 2154, but was inadvertently removed.) The bill also provides reimbursement to any person enrolled during the 2015-2016 academic year who would have been entitled to resident tuition and fee rates if the eligibility criteria in this bill had been in effect, equal to the difference between rates.

Federal legislation known as the "Veterans' Access to Care through Choice, Accountability, and Transparency Act of 2014," requires all public universities and colleges to offer in-state tuition rates to veterans making use of Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, who live in the state where the institution they intend to enroll at is located, and who file a letter of intent to establish residence in the state. Eligible spouses and dependent children also qualify for in-state tuition rates.

For more information about Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014, click here.

For more information about Education and Training benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, click here.

Kansas has also declared all current members of the armed forces residents of the state for tuition and fee purposes (including army, navy, marine corps, air force, coast guard, Kansas army or air national guard, or any branch of the military reserves of the United States), along with the spouses and dependent children of current members of the armed forces, who are enrolled or have been accepted for admission at a Kansas public postsecondary educational institution.

To confirm your eligibility, contact the Office of the Registrar at the institution at which you intend to apply or are currently enrolled. (For Kansas State University, a new undergraduate student should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, while new graduate students and continuing students should contact the Office of the Registrar.) You can also utilize the direct links (listed as "Veterans Information") on our list of all 32 public postsecondary institutions in Kansas to learn more.

For more information about residency for tuition and fee purposes, click here to review an FAQ.

Student Financial Aid

Student financial aid includes grants, scholarships, and loans. It can be available through the federal and state government, private corporations, and philanthropic organizations, to name a few.  The Kansas Board of Regents is responsible for the administration of the state-funded grants and scholarships.  You can find more information here regarding the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the Kansas Learning Quest College Savings Program and the Midwest Student Exchange Program (a tuition discount program for specific academic programs), among other things. 

Eligibility Requirements
General information on eligibility requirements for numerous financial aid awards and contact information for the Board of Regents Student Financial Assistance Office.

Scholarships & Grants
Review the entire list of scholarships & grants administered by the Kansas Board of Regents.  Includes application instructions and information on specific programs including the Kansas National Guard Education Assistance program and Kansas Military Service Scholarship.


kanVet 140

KanVet provides direct access to State of Kansas veterans and military information. Designed as a one stop shop for education and employment information and resources, KanVet seeks to better serve veterans, transitioning service members and their families.