Information on the alignment requirements for the Associate Degree Nurse Program
CIP Code: 51.3801
CIP Name: Registered Nursing/Registered Nurse
Definition: A program that generally prepares individuals in the knowledge, techniques and procedures for promoting health, providing care for sick, disabled, infirmed, or other individuals or groups. Includes instruction in the administration of medication and treatments, assisting a physician during treatments and examinations, Referring patients to physicians and other health care specialists, and planning education for health maintenance.
The Associate Degree Nurse Alignment was approved by the Kansas Board of Nursing on September 15, 2010 and the Kansas Board of Regents on February 16, 2011. Colleges are granted one year from the approval date to implement the alignment. Agreed upon 2015 amendments to this program alignment are shown “italicized as well as underlined ” and are contingent upon final approval.
State Business and Industry Committee recommendation
In lieu of a Letter of Guidance, KBOR has requested the use of an alignment map. The alignment map dated 12/14/10 has received support from the Kansas State Board of Nursing and has been approved by the Kansas Board of Regents. As a result of external accreditation, three of the four purposes of program alignment are met when applied to the Associate Degree Registered Nursing program. Participants must sit for the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) exam. All students should obtain the Registered Nurses (RN) credential which is required for employment.
Click here (pdf) - updated March 2017
No common courses – institutions may utilize their existing courses provided they adhere to the Kansas State Board of Nursing approved courses.
Support Courses (up to) 10 hours
Institutions may utilize existing like courses which adhere to the agreed upon course lengths and competencies.
|Anatomy & Physiology||5-8 credit hours|
|English Composition I||3 credit hours|
|General Psychology||3 credit hours|
|Developmental Psychology||3 credit hours|
|4-5 credit hours
3-4 credit hours
|Communications||3 credit hours|
|Program Electives||Up to 10 credit hours|
ADN Educational Support Coursework
Click here (pdf)
ADN Alignment Program Outcomes
Amended program outcomes contingent on Final Approval of the 2015 ADN program alignment map.
1. Integrate caring behaviors in practicing the art and science of nursing within a diverse population.
2. Implement professional standards and scope of practice within legal, ethical, and regulatory frame works.
3. Collaborate with clients and members of the inter-professional health care team to optimize client outcomes.
4. Formulate safe and effective clinical judgements guided by the nursing process, clinical reasoning, and evidence-based practice.
5. Manage care and provide leadership to meet client needs using available resources and current technology.
6. Generate teaching and learning processes to promote and maintain health and reduce risks for a global population.
7. Demonstrate effective communication methods to manage client needs and to interact with other healthcare team members.
To learn where this program is available in Kansas, visit the Kansas Career Technical Education Program Search.