Information about student health insurance rules and regulations.
88-30-1. Definitions. Each of the following terms, wherever used in this article of the board of regents’ regulations, shall have the meaning specified in this regulation:
(a) “Degree-seeking undergraduate student” means a student who has formally indicated to the state educational institution the intent to complete a program of study that is designated by the United States department of education as a program that is eligible for federal financial aid.
(b) “Dependent” means a student’s unmarried child under the age of 19 who is not self-supporting.
(c) “Employer contribution” means the amount paid by a state educational institution for the coverage of a student employee that equals 75 percent of the cost of student-only coverage.
(d) “State board” means the state board of regents.
(e) “State educational institution” has the meaning specified in K.S.A. 76-711, and amendments thereto, except that for purposes of this article of the board of regents’ regulations, the university of Kansas medical center shall be considered a state educational institution separate from the university of Kansas, Lawrence, and its campuses.
(f)(1) “Student” means any individual who meets the following conditions:
(A) Is enrolled at a state educational institution, except as provided in paragraph (f)(1)(C)(iv);
(B) is not eligible for coverage under K.A.R. 108-1-1; and
(C) meets one of the following conditions:
(i) Is a degree-seeking undergraduate student who is enrolled in at least six hours in the fall or spring semesters or at least three hours in the summer semester or is participating in an internship approved or sponsored by the state educational institution;
(ii) is a master’s degree student who is enrolled in at least three hours each semester;
(iii) is an individual with J-1 or other nonimmigrant status;
(iv) is an individual with nonimmigrant status who is engaged in optional practical training or academic training, even though the individual is not enrolled:
(v) is a doctoral student;
(vi) is a master’s or doctoral student who is participating in an internship approved or sponsored by the state educational institution; or
(vii) has been appointed as a postdoctoral fellow.
(2) “Student” shall not include either of the following:
(A) Except as provided in paragraph (f)(3), any individual who is enrolled exclusively in any of the following:
(i) One or more semester-based internet courses;
(ii) one or more semester-based television courses;
(iii) one or more home study courses; or
(iv) one or more correspondence courses; or
(B) a concurrent enrollment pupil, as defined in K.S.A. 72-11a03 and amendments thereto.
(3) The limitations of paragraph (f)(2)(A) shall not apply to any student employee whose official workstation is on the main campus of a state educational institution. On and after August 1, 2020, the limitations of paragraph (f)(2)(A) shall not apply during any semester for which a state educational institution suspends or substantially modifies its in-person attendance requirements.
(4) Each individual who meets the criteria for being a “student,” as specified in this subsection, at the time of application for coverage under the student health insurance program shall remain eligible for coverage throughout the coverage period.
(g) “Student employee” means a student who meets one of the following conditions:
(1) Is appointed for the current semester to a graduate assistant, graduate teaching assistant, or graduate research assistant position that is at least a 50 percent appointment; or
(2) holds concurrent appointments to more than one graduate assistant, graduate teaching assistant, or graduate research assistant position that total at least a 50 percent appointment.
(h) “Student health insurance program” means the health and accident insurance coverage or health care services of a health maintenance organization for which the state board has contracted pursuant to K.S.A. 75-4101, and amendments thereto. (Authorized by and implementing K.S.A. 75-4101; effective, T-88-6-14-07, June 14, 2007; effective Oct. 12, 2007; amended Aug. 1, 2011; amended, T-88-6-26-20, June 26, 2020; amended Oct. 23, 2020.)
88-30-2 Election of coverage. Any student may elect coverage under the student health insurance program for any of the following sets of people, to the extent that the coverage is offered by the state board:
(a) The student;
(b) the student and the student’s spouse;
(c) the student and any dependents; or
(d) the student, the student’s spouse, and any dependents. (Authorized by and implementing K.S.A. 75-4101; effective, T-88-6-14-7, June 14, 2007; effective Oct. 12, 2007; amended Oct. 23, 2020.)
88-30-3 Payment of premiums. Each student who elects coverage under the student health insurance program as described in K.A.R. 88-30-2 shall pay the costs of the coverage as follows:
(a) Each student who is not a student employee shall pay the full cost of the elected coverage.
(b) Each student employee’s cost of elected coverage shall be reduced by the employer’s contribution. (Authorized by and implementing K.S.A. 2006 Supp. 75-4101; effective, T-88-6-14-07, June 14, 2007; effective Oct. 12, 2007.)