88-26-6. Approval of programs. (a)(1) Except as specified in paragraph (a)(2), each program to be offered by an institution shall be required to be approved by the state board before the program is actually offered by the institution. The institution shall submit an application for approval of the program to the state board.
(2) If an associate in applied science degree program has been approved by the state board in accordance with paragraph (a)(1), the institution may subsequently offer within the program a separate certificate of completion or a separate career technical certificate based on credits earned within that program.
(b) The application for approval shall provide information that establishes each of the following:
(1) There is a documented state, regional, or local need for the proposed program.
(2) The institution has the physical and human resources to deliver the program.
(3) The delivery of the program is financially feasible for the state and the institution.
(4) The program does not unnecessarily duplicate any existing programs of the other institutions within the state.
(c) Upon receipt of an application, the application shall be reviewed by board staff, and a determination shall be made whether the requirements specified in subsection (b) have been met.
(d) If the board staff determines that the requirements specified in subsection (b) have been met, the program shall be recommended by the board staff for approval by the state board. The institution shall be notified by the board staff, in writing, of the recommendation.
(e) If the board staff determines that the information provided does not meet all of the requirements specified in subsection (b), the institution shall be notified by the board staff, in writing, of the determination, which shall include in the notice the reason or reasons for the determination. The institution shall also be notified by the board staff of the right to request a review of the determination. (Authorized by K.S.A. 72-7514, K.S.A. 74-32,140, and K.S.A. 2014 Supp. 74-32,141; implementing K.S.A. 71-801; effective Oct. 29, 2004; amended April 10, 2015.)